Tuesday 1 September 2015

(Movie) The darker side of business....a look at the Social Network

First of all, ugh.

This movie is recommended by Maia (uzuyucky.tumblr.com)

Let me preface this by saying that I was suitably miffed about watching this film. When I first heard about the release in 2010, I found myself saying, "They'll make a movie for just about everything these days!"

It's not because I don't like Facebook. I'm a user, after all.

It's because Hollywood thought it important enough to make it into a movie.

So while I was dragged kicking and screaming to watch this movie, (I can still hear Maia's voice in my head as my fingers slam the keys and my eyes are narrowed,) the question is:

Did seeing the movie change my mind?

Let's begin.

Story/Dialogue: This story jumps between Facebook's inception and the period in which Mark Zuckerberg is getting sued by both the Winklevoss twins and his close friend Eduardo Saverin. I'm not sure how true to the original story this movie was, but I get the feeling you're not supposed to like Zuckerberg. If you are supposed to, it's a Sherlockian like. What I mean is, he's an asshole, but because he's brilliant, he gets away with it.

This arc that Zuckerberg takes ends on a strong note with a satisfying touch for the audience, who by this point aren't overly fond of him. As it is with most films, the ending will be the opposite of the beginning. The Social Network showed this remarkably well.

The dialogue is intelligent (They're at Harvard, so I suppose it's a given,) and throws a lot of numbers and statistics around.

They use the tagline in the movie, which would seem tacky in most other films, but worked well in raising the stakes.

I'm not going to go into too much more detail about the story for spoiler reasons (plus, finding out who Justin Timberlake plays is pretty freakin' awesome if you haven't seen this movie already. A great introduction,) but we'll say that it was well written for a story that is not yet finished. (I feel as though the rise of Facebook must be contrasted by its fall, which it is yet to have. Only then will we have a complete movie in a story sense.)


Cinematography: Visually, this movie was excellently framed. You see multiple instances where you have characters in three or more different perspectives...very Citizen Kane.
I love the stylistic choice of having low tungsten lighting contrasted with natural outside light everywhere else.
A lot of the movie is shot at night, so you see a lot of tungsten bulbs being used and gives everyone that artificial look, which would also be a representation of everyone wearing a mask. Hiding their true intentions.

Audio: THIS IS THE SEGMENT I'VE BEEN MOST LOOKING FORWARD TO!!!

TRENT REZNOR.

THE SCORE WAS WRITTEN BY NINE INCH NAILS!!!

While there was a recurring theme song that played throughout the film, there was some heavy industrial music that sounded awesome. It only enhanced the scenes by adding arpeggios and digital sounds. The music was brilliantly composed and I'm actually going to look at getting my hands on the OST for this movie because I'm so psyched about it. (You know a score is good if it makes you scour the internet looking for it.)


Overall: Firstly, as I wrote this all I could think of is this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMRBYkg5jmg

It never fails to make me laugh. Now that I've seen the Social Network, I laugh even harder.

As for the movie, I was surprised at how poignant the story was. It was a tale of betrayal and power and how the things you can create can get out of hand. Eisenberg played a great Zuckerberg, though I have to wonder if Zuckerberg himself really is that much of an ass in real life.

I wish I could hate how much I enjoyed watching this movie. It was compelling and the story was excellent.

5 stars.

Goddamn it Maia. 5 stars. I_I

Thus ends this review.

Feel free to leave a comment recommending new comics, books and movies. I read and reply to all of them. Unless they are bots. 

Like my Facebook page: facebook.com/rav3nr3vi3ws
Follow me on twitter: @rave_nreviews
Tumblr: rave-nreviews.tumblr.com
Instagram: @1nkraven

Currently working on a #60minuteworkout on my story writing blog: paperbackraven.blogspot.com.au

I'll see you guys on Friday with a comic review!







No comments:

Post a Comment