Tuesday 8 September 2015

(Movie) Death Race...a look at The Last Cab to Darwin

This review was requested by Daniel Rath of Headland Creative Media (http://bit.ly/1KpUelk)

When I asked Daniel if he had any recommendations (I have been taking requests for comics, books and movies, in case you hadn't noticed. :P) he suggested this movie without a second thought.


Still in theatres in Australia, I went and saw it this Sunday just gone with the Iron Matriarch, (I wrote a post about her on my tumblr, which you can see if you get the chance.)

I'll be the first to say that I'm not a big fan of Aussie films. I'm told on a regular basis that all we have to offer is cop dramas and Aussie comedy that most of the world just doesn't get. You only need to look at the American version of Kath and Kim for that one.

This aside, I was skeptical as I entered the theatre. 

So, did it fall short? Or did it exceed expectations?

Let's review!

Story/Dialogue: Michael Caton plays Rex McCrea, a taxi driver from Broken Hill, NSW who is dying of cancer. He hears on the radio about a Doctor in the Northern Territory (Over 3000kms or 1864 miles) who has recently had a bill passed to make euthanasia possible for those patients who are in need to die with dignity.

There are other aspects to this plot, such as characters he meets and befriends and the places he goes. For spoiler's sake, I'll avoid talking about it.

The characters in this film are incredibly likeable. Rex is a loner with a razor wit and the companions he meets along the way are delightful. Their arcs are equally as important as Rex's as they reflect the other aspects of experiencing life.

One of the things I loved was how they portrayed the Koori bloke in this film. His character arc was emotionally satisfying and you found yourself grinning along with him.

Loveable rogue types, dude. Problematic favourites. 

My favourite character though is simply delightful and you can't help but fall in love with her. She's got a lot of guts and heart and it adds an element of dialogue to an unspoken storyline. She calls it like it is and I love her character so much for that.

The dialogue of this film is witty and carries an air of unapologetic blokiness about it. It fits the typical 'Laid back Aussie vibe' that most foreigners seem to think we have, yet has these undertones of intelligence that shows the characters are saying more than they're letting on.

Cinematography: This movie absolutely shone in the cinematic department. You had landmarks in the film that were iconic. This includes Alice Springs, Darwin, Broken Hill and the Devil's Marbles. I loved the time lapse shots showing night falling and the transition of the day. 

The visual symbolism was beautiful and should be kept and eye out for. See if you can figure out the significance of the tree of dead feral cats. Landmark? Or Symbol? 

Framing was creative, yet not all that innovative. Nothing really had me asking, "How did they get that shot?" But it was incredibly pleasant to watch in terms of soft pushes and slow camera movements. 

Visually, it was a feast for the eyes and it was a great way to show Australia's best sides. We are more than just the Gold Coast, Bondi and various deserts. 


Audio:
While the tracks were pleasant to listen to, with lots of guitar work that didn't make it sound like the Tamworth Country Music Festival, it wasn't overly memorable. It reminds you of a bloke who lives out at Broken Hill. Hard working and in this case, taken for granted and under-appreciated.

Overall: The Last Cab to Darwin should be considered an iconic movie and as far as I'm concerned, sets the bar for Australian film in 2015. 

Forget your Australias, forget that atrocious looking Blinky Bill reboot (I'd be happy to review it, if only so I can smite the bugger,) this film is honest, deep and intense. I found myself holding my breath in certain instances and was invested from the moment Rex started dancing in his house at the beginning of the film.

The Last Cab to Darwin warrants a Ravensmark (picture pending,) reserved only for media of the highest caliber. I haven't seen a drama like it and I think it'll be a long time before I see a drama like it again. 

Thus ends this review.

I hope you enjoyed this review as much as I enjoyed watching it. Please, if you can, share this on facebook and retweet it on twitter. Support this amazing film.

Twitter: @rave_nreviews
Insta: @1nkraven


Thanks again, guys! I'll see you again on friday for Civil War! :D 




No comments:

Post a Comment