Friday 12 February 2016

(Movie) 4th wall wrecking ball....a look at Deadpool


Okay guys, this is a doozy.

11 years this movie has been in the making. This is like the Mad Max of the comic book world. 

Then, in a single moment, where planets aligned, and the rest of the universe fell into place, God saw fit to say, "Fuck it, this is what the world needs right now."

A lo' and behold, we got a saviour in red spandex.

Let's begin, because if I don't review this now, it'd be like perpetual edging and no one wants that.

Story/ Dialogue: For those of you who don't know who Deadpool (Played by Ryan Reynolds) is, he's a schizophrenic mercenary who can't die, thanks to a healing factor. This ability has caused his cancer to rapidly fluctuate, giving him the texture of a melted wax model crocodile.

To Deadpool, the fact that his appearance has changed this drastically occurs to him that this might be a deal breaker for his girlfriend (Played by Morena Baccarin. God, I miss Firefly.) decides to find the man that did this to him.

This is brief summary and there is so much more to this movie than mentioned. According to Reynolds, there are over 100 easter eggs in the film.

The story alone is enough to grab you. However, you find that it jumps between Deadpool's past and the present. As a result, it doesn't feel as though there's a dip in pace at any point in the film.

With regard to the dialogue, it was as though Shakespeare wrote a sonnet that was then handed to Charles Bukowski to be spunked all over.

What I mean to say is, it's so vulgar that it exceeds itself to become art. My closest example (And I mean by a long shot,) is the tv series Archer.

The analogies, the banter and the one-liners are...for a want of a better expression, on point.

Cinematography: The visuals in this film are impressive. Like, this is not an Iñárritu film, but I feel as though they both have the same amount of love put into the cinematography and CGI.

One of my favourite shots was the over shoulder shot when Deadpool lines up his shot to kick the guy he was chasing in the head. I can't imagine that would have been easy to shoot. 

Colossus looked awesome, but the real winner is Deadpool's eyes. So much expression from the whites of his eyes shifting that throughout the film I was sitting there asking myself, "Do eyes actually do that? Is that how they function?" 

It always felt as though there was something going on and even on a first watch, I feel as though I missed a lot. So I want to watch it again.

Audio: Even the audio track had comedic timing. DMX's "X gon give it to ya," stopping upon the realisation that something has been forgotten, then starting back up again, to "Shoop" by Salt and Pepa playing while Deadpool is waiting to kick some tail.

The dubbing was synced up well, and none of the audio was terrible, which is actually quite thankful. My audio teacher at my school once said, "Humans can handle crappy quality picture, but nobody will put up with shitty audio." So while this might seem like a criticism, it's actually a compliment.

Overall: Deadpool as a film is not only fantastic, but it stays true to the character. Unlike the one seen in X-Men Origins: Wolverine, this Deadpool feels as though he's jumped off of the page and started doing his thing.

The film is self aware, raw and hilarious. Plus, you feel as though you connect with the character on so many levels to the point where I almost got emotional in parts of the film. 

Deadpool, 11 years in the making, is a labor of love.

So it's my honour to give this film the Ravensmark, a seal reserved for the best of the best films out there.

Thus ends this review.

If you enjoyed reading this, have a look through my previous reviews. I do books and comics, too. 

Also, feel free to message me on twitter, tumblr and facebook with recommendations! I love getting recommendations from you guys!



No comments:

Post a Comment