Thursday 25 June 2015

(Movie) It's all in your head...a look at Inside Out

While this review was going to be about Mad Max, turns out they took the movie down from the main cinemas on Tuesday.

So I ended up going to see Inside Out.

I had the theatre.

I'd heard good things about it prior to watching it, but as it was all spoiler free, I didn't know what to expect.

As a side note before we start: If you feel like you repress a lot of your feelings, I'd advise going to see this movie.

Let's begin!

Story/Dialogue: Story goes that since Riley was born, she has had Joy. Joy's goal is to make Riley feel happy. Along the way she works with other emotions including Sadness, Disgust, Anger and Fear.
When Joy tries to maintain order, she ends up in the bowels of Riley's mind with Sadness. They have to get back before Riley loses her mind.

Okay, the concept alone is fantastic. Emotions that feel and function are wonderful and the intricacies of how Riley's mind works is delightful.

Amy Poehler channels some serious Leslie Knope vibes as Joy and all the other characters play their parts excellently.

The dialogue was witty and well received with laughs. Each of the characters were incredibly endearing and their dialogue matched their personalities.

Cinematography/Animation: The animation was exquisite. I loved the little detail in each of the emotions where they look slightly smudged if you look close enough.
Looking at the inner workings of the long term memory that looks like a brain, the memories, the vividness of the colours and the textures! Oh my goodness they must have taken eons to render!

There's one particular sequence that I will not spoil, but makes the movie. It's very...abstract.

Audio: One thing that bugged me was the repetitiveness of the music. They had a theme and they stuck with it predominately throughout the movie. There were moments of atmospheric music that complemented the situation, but the overarching theme weaved throughout the movie. While I normally don't mind this, it irritated me because of how simplistic the tune was.

On top of that, while it was simplistic, it wasn't memorable.


Overall: Part of me was incredibly thankful that I was the only one in the theatre.

I have never come across a movie that brought me so close to tears. It was overwhelming. As I write this message, just thinking about it makes my eyes well up.

This movie MAKES YOU CARE! While story is structurally the most important part of the movie, connecting with the audience is just as, if not more important.

We all have emotions, so we can relate to these characters. We've all had moments where we feel so out of control that we do stupid and drastic things.

We all feel.

This movie is like finishing a huge meal at Christmas. Fit to burst, yet satisfied.

5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment