Tuesday 16 June 2015

(Movie) Fangs for nothing...a look at Dracula Untold

This movie left me feeling somewhat disappointed. 

I posted a video recently about it, actually. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE97l1VIARU - shameless self plug. 

In any case, let's look at the pieces and see what the deal is. 

Story/Dialogue: This movie is about Vlad Tepesh, or Vlad the Impaler, a Transylvanian prince who was raised by the Turkish people. In making sure that the Turks didn't take his son, Vlad sought the power of a vampire. Known for their superhuman strength and speed, vampires were literally one men armies. 
Now, one of the things I did like about Dracula Untold is the accuracy behind it. (Vampires aside, of course,) but Vlad Tepesh lived around the 14th century. 

The dialogue as a whole wasn't overly cheesy and the intent behind it was obvious. This is to say that characters spoke plainly about their desires and didn't leave it up to interpretation. I really appreciated that. A lot of problems in movies can be solved if people just say what it is they're thinking. 


Cinematography/Effects: Visually, this movie was quite brilliant. Looking at the great vistas gave you this sense of reverence towards them. They felt ancient and sacred. 
The visual effects were well done. Some of the buildings had to be CGI, which isn't a bad thing. Provided they don't make it incredibly obvious. Even the scenes where Vlad was burnt by the sun was quite well done. 

The only issue I had with the effects (and possibly with the story too,)

BATBENDING IS NOT A THING! YOU CAN NOT KILL PEOPLE WITH A FIST OF BATS! IT DOES NOT WORK! IT IS RIDICULOUS AND NOT EVEN LUKE EVANS CAN MAKE BATBENDING LOOK COOL! 

I cannot stress how much that annoyed me.

Audio: The audio in this film didn't give off a vibe that I expected. I was expecting something a little more epic. Horns and chanting and whatnot. I did not get these. 

The sound effects were quite pleasant, though. I'll give the movie that.

Overall: I found this movie disappointing. While elements of Dracula Untold were really well done, they cannot undo Dominic Cooper with a tan and BATBENDING. 
Poor representation destroys the suspension of disbelief and ridiculous tropes make it difficult to watch. 
Please don't misunderstand, I have no issue with him controlling bats. I have an issue with him controlling bats for combat. That is ridiculous. 

I commend their ability to stay true to the story of Vlad Tepesh and him being son of the dragon. Plus that armour was pretty awesome. 

I leave this review with 3 and a half stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment