Wednesday 24 June 2015

(Movie) Seeing Stars....a Look at the Winter Soldier (Captain America)

Now I know this movie was a while ago and it's a sequel, but I chose Captain America two for two reasons:

1: It was a superhero movie that actually felt like it took place in the real world. (As opposed to a fictitious Alternate Universe where everything is the same.)
2: This was arguably the best superhero movie to date. (Yes, even better than Age of Ultron, such as it was.)

As a part of the superhero month (With an inclusion of Mad Max: Fury Road at some point,) I'd like to think this would be a fantastic start.

Let's begin!

Story/Dialogue: Cap is adjusting to life as SHIELD's personal attack dog, making friends and meeting up with Peggy (That scene made my heart weep. I had to punch something to make me feel manly again,) when he gets caught up in a whirlwind conspiracy that has him going to ground and fighting the good fight...FOR AMERICA!

To be fair, Cap is about doing what's right and is oddly a polar opposite of the Aryan race, but that's an analysis for later.

The dialogue is filled with snappy one liners and a mere mortal who pulls out those existential, "Are people like you carved from stone and blessed by the gods?" kind of quips in Sam Wilson, AKA Falcon.

Nick Fury returns as his grumpy, sassy self and Black Widow does all the things that Steve can't while trying to find him a date.

And they call Falcon a wingman. Please. I'd want Romanoff on my team anyday.

Cinematography: Oddly enough, I found parts of this film unusual. The framing often felt out of place, which contrasted with the scenes that had really tight and well shot frames.

The shield (and its ridiculous trajectory upon throwing,) is arguably the most terrible CGI I've seen. It felt rushed and not really attached to his arm some of the time.

Though! In all of this, I would like to point out that the elevator scene is the best scene. The tight space was shot excellently and cut together so well to the point it fully conveyed power and struggle.

Audio: The only way to describe the audio is...patriotic. Horns with a deep drum combo makes me want to put a hand to my chest and pledge allegiance to a flag.

In all seriousness though, I enjoyed the epic feel of the horns and drums, complete with the almost Inception style Hans Zimmer tension of the fight/chase scenes.

Overall: I love this movie for many reasons. The action, the one liners, Cap's companions, key quotes which I will not spoil in case you have not seen it. (Though there's one that makes me tear up every time.)

This movie is good at making you feel patriotic while allowing you to question what your country does for the sake of "peace" *cough* political agenda *cough cough*

Furthermore, I love the dynamic of Steve and Natasha. She doesn't act like a substitute for Bucky and doesn't feel forced like she did in Age of Ultron. (That's the writing, not ScarJo I have a problem with, there.) I also loved how romance took a back seat in this film. It was a focus on Steve and him catching up while trying to maintain peace without the iron fist.

Out of all the superhero movies to date, Captain America: Winter Soldier is my favourite.

5 stars.




No comments:

Post a Comment