Thursday 13 August 2015

(Comic) Monster Mash....a look at Wayward

For those of you who know me, you know of my love for Japan.

For those of you who know me well, you know of my love for mythical beasts.

So a blend of the two is epic beyond belief.



Rori Lane is a half Irish, half Japanese young woman who is starting her life in Japan. She doesn't exactly fit in, given her short red hair and her capacity to follow supernatural patterns. Rori and the friends she makes end up starting a journey that could change the the fabric of reality.

I've always loved stories about the human world and the one of mythology blending. We get to experience it firsthand from Rori's perspective and witness things of cultural importance, such as the red thread of fate (A belief that two people are connected by a red thread that won't break or knot.)

One of the best things about this comic is how true it stays to Japan. Even in the foreword it's the main thing talked about. Like, when westerners think of Japan, we often think of it like we'd think of Narnia or Middle Earth. Some mystical place we can only travel to in our dreams. Having been to Japan myself, I could imagine myself walking the streets of Ikebukuro or spending time in a high school. This is perhaps because most of the folk who worked on the comic live in Japan.

Story-wise the pacing captures you by showing you the beautiful artworks, then ramps it up really quickly. Near the last 15 pages of this volume I was audibly saying, "WHAT IS EVEN HAPPENING RIGHT NOW?!"

You got people who eat ghosts, a person who can turn into a horde of cats and a human time bomb (At least that's how he appears.)

The thing is, their appearance is of someone you could meet if you ever went to Japan. It's what made them so likeable and makes you feel for them. They feel real.

Wayward volume one is immersive and treats Japanese culture with respect while also being honest about its often underlying issues within the country.

The yokai, or monsters are beautifully done and recognisable to those who love their mythology.

Wayward feels like the comic equivalent of Avatar. What I mean by this is that it takes anime style and applies a western edge to it, making it that much more natural and vibrant. The colours are vivid and there are kanji or Japanese letters that give a nod to readers who can read the language.

One last thing before I rate this: This comic does have an element of self harm. However, it's used as a form of control/centring, rather than a glorification.

This comic was an excellent read and feels a lot like a manga. I would recommend it for locals of Japan and weeaboos alike.

5 stars.

Thus ends this review!

Agree/disagree? Comment and let me know! Let me know what you'd like me to review next! 

Movie reviews every Wednesday and Comics every Friday.

Come chat to me on twitter: @rave_nreviews

Like my facebook page: facebook.com/rav3nr3vi3ws

Follow my tumblr: rave-nreviews.tumblr.com
I also run a nature blog: 1nkraven.tumblr.com

Instagram: @1nkraven

Don't forget to support the creators of this comic buy purchasing at your local store or on the internet wherever it can be found. I came across it at the Google play store.



No comments:

Post a Comment