Thursday 27 August 2015

(Comic) Apolkalypse Now...a look at Umbrella Academy

I've never been a fan of My Chemical Romance.

It was never a, "I hope they go die," kind of dislike. More like, "I don't feel anything towards this."

With this disconnect in mind, I went into Umbrella Academy with that same headspace. I was expecting something that would appeal to teens in a way that Welcome to the Black Parade did.

I will say this. The taste of humble pie is strange and bitter.



The story introduces an alien wrestling match, which somehow spawns many gifted children, born to different women who were not expecting. Seven of these children survive and are adopted by an alien who is disguised as a man.

After a brief introduction of the children fighting a rather aggressive Eiffel Tower, we are taken to the future to see the children reunite as adults. Each of them have gone their separate paths and have only returned after they have received a letter saying their 'Father' has passed away.

In the meantime, their sister, the one said to be without powers, is shunned by the rest of the group and is tempted by an orchestra made of madmen and murderesses. It is learnt that her ability is to destroy people with her song.

She is destined to bring about the apocalypse.

In six issues, which make up the Apocalypse Suite, Way has carefully crafted a story that introduces the heroes in an original fashion. Initially, you meet them when they only have numbers, but as time goes on, they gain codenames and names given to them by their 'mother.'

What you see of the powers are original, but aside from Vanya (their sister,) you don't really witness their power.

Story-wise, if I were to compare it to something, it would be Young Justice Season 2. A lot has happened and you're not 100% sure how it's all changed. It doesn't make sense at first, but as you read it starts to dawn on you.

The art style is reminiscent of Hellboy, with dark gritty backgrounds and characters that are minimal in their lines of detail. It's a style that may look a little unrefined, but it perfectly represents the chaotic world that the children live in.

While I didn't have any major grievances with the volume, it left me with many questions that I suspect will be answered in later volumes.

Umbrella Academy surprised me with its humorous dialogue and varied cast with an ending that left you wanting more. A tasty slice of the Umbrella Academy cake.

I look forward to my next slice.

4.5 stars.

Thus ends the review.

Did you like Umbrella Academy? Have any thoughts on the matter?

Feel free to comment and recommend new comics, books and movies! 

Twitter: @rave_nreviews
Facebook: facebook.com/rav3nr3vi3ws
tumblr: rave-nreviews.tumblr.com
Instagram: @1nkraven

I'll see you all next week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment