Monday 19 January 2015

(Classic)(Movie) It's getting hot in here....so call off all your cops! A Look at Some Like it Hot.

Sometimes you watch a movie and ask yourself, 'who comes up with this stuff? What kind of experiences did they have in order to make something like this?' I know I've had this thought many a time, especially regarding movies such as the Human Centipede and Funny People, which frankly, wasn't all that funny.

In this particular movie, two musicians witness a murder committed by the mob and escape by touring in Florida with a band. The twist? It's an all women band. So they have to go undercover to hide from the mob.

According to the American Film Institute, this movie has been regarded as the greatest American comedy film of all time.

Story/Dialogue: It's nice to see simple, yet witty dialogue in a film. I found myself laughing when I expected to keep a straight face through most of it. Another thing I found striking was the fact that the mob didn't play as big a part in the film as I expected. I got so caught up in the chaos that followed as Joe and Jerry arrived in Florida that I completely forgot about the mob. So when they arrived I found myself floundering, partly with nervousness, but also partly with excitement for what was to come. This is a good example of the 'Gap.' The gap is the escalation of a situation. I found myself thrilled by the thought that they may get caught and how any of the parties (Mob, conductor of the band or even Sugar would react.)

And that ending....oh man. I've seen screen captures, but I didn't realise that it came from this movie.

Cinematography: This film is in black and white, yet I found the quality of the picture allowed a step back in time rather than a hindrance. The matte paintings for the visual effects were simple and did their job.

Audio: I had one question regarding this particular area. Did they dub the maracas? That was literally the only thing that bugged me. I know it's really nitpicky, but it really bothered me. Other than that, Marilyn Monroe has a terrific voice.

Overall: This movie found my funny bone and made me appreciate the writing of the golden age of cinema. Normally, I would have written it off as simple and dull, but I delighted in its simplicity. Overall, this movie earned its five stars. I know I said that the maraca dubbing bothered me, but the overall brilliance of this movie far outweighs such a minor detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment