Monday 29 December 2014

(Movies) The Legend and the Fangirl....a look at Hercules (2014)

Since Christopher Nolan, people have been trying to make legends more plausible. Matthew Reilly with his 'Great Zoo of China' and now, Hercules. A realistic take on the legend known around the world of a demi-god who performed 12 labours to obtain godliness.

As a movie I felt this had so much potential.

With all this said, let us begin our usual assessment.

Story/Dialogue: Now, I understand that due to the authenticity of the names, they needed to remind people of them.

BUT THERE IS NO NEED TO INTRODUCE THEM TWICE!

Seriously, the dialogue is arguably the most clunky I have seen to date short of the Room.

Need I remind you that film is about showing, not telling.

What's worse, I struggle to remember the character's names now.

As I said before, Hercules, as a concept, had a lot of potential. I liked how they showed us how he really completed his tasks and found redemption. What's more, I like that he didn't fall in love. But this movie's dialogue was substandard.

Cinematography: With startling vistas and stark colours mashed with more earthy colours, this movie was visual eye candy. The VFX, however, was an eyesore. Looking at it made my eyes bleed.

Audio: This movie did one thing really well. They made it BIG. Everything was big. Actors, places, legends.....but nothing was as big as the audio. The music enhanced the big-ness of the movie, which I thoroughly appreciated.

Overall: Sadly, I cannot say that I was happy with this movie. While I did watch it from beginning to end, I have to say that I did so reluctantly.
This was not the reboot I was looking for.

2 and a half stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment