Monday 24 November 2014

(Movie) A Reflection on Mirrormask

For those of you who know me, you know that Neil Gaiman is the biggest inspiration when it comes to all things literature.

And thus, I went to watch Mirrormask while I ignored my golden rule.

'Go in there without any expectations.'

So without further ado, here are the stats.

Story:

Mirrormask tells the story of Helena, the daughter of circus folk who believes that the grass is greener on the other side. She copes with her whirlwind life by drawing bizarre and wonderful creatures.

After her mother falls ill, she throws herself into drawing. Helena even goes up to the roof of the dodgy apartment complex she now lives in to draw.

Eventually she falls into the world of her drawings and goes on an epic adventure to find the Mirrormask, an artefact that can take her home. Throughout the adventure Helena learns that she has to take responsibility for her actions and becomes a better person for her journey

Visual/Lighting: As this movie is all about dark and light, real and fiction, the movie handles it brilliantly. You can see within the first 20 minutes the transition of the bright, colourful night-life to the dull, drab life of regular people. The visuals for the fictional characters is both remarkable and larger than life. I found myself laughing at the comical, yet noble gorilla/penguin hybrids, the miniature sphinxes and the various other characters that inhabited this bizarre world.

Sound: This aspect was subtle and added to the overall feel. However, sometimes it was so subtle that the silence said more about the scene than sound ever could.

Final Verdict: In light of all this praise I have given this movie, you would think I'd give it 6 out of 5 stars or something of that nature.
However, for all its good points, I found it really hard to keep my attention on it. With that said, it has a lot of rewatch value. Ultimately, I give this 4 out of 5 stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment