Wednesday 20 May 2015

(Classic) (Movie) Rise and Fall...a look at Citizen Kane

Considered to be one of the greatest films ever made, Citizen Kane was the grandest design of Orson Welles. His...magnum opus, if you will.

Unfortunately, like Van Gogh and many other artists before him, Welles' visionary attitude has been received better long after its initial release.

Did it stand the test of time, though?

Please, read on:

Story/Dialogue: I found myself fascinated by the unconventional storytelling style of Citizen Kane. The idea that it's told through flashbacks of other people about a man who was larger than life is an appealing, if unusual way of telling stories. The dialogue was witty, though I also enjoyed that the conversations often felt more natural than rehearsed. This was done through people talking over the top of one another, which also ties in with the theme of power. One of the key things I really enjoyed was the polarity of ice and fire at the beginning of the movie.

Cinematography: THIS section is the part where the movie truly shines. What first strikes people is how everything is in focus, regardless of perspective. It gave this movie a bizarre, otherworldly take on the world of Citizen Kane. Each frame was throughly thought out and the lighting was both extreme and exquisite. People who were evil were shrouded in darkness, focus was shown by lighting the eye area like in those moments between fighting samurai. All of the sets were grand in scale and you felt it as well as saw it.

Audio: One thing I loved about the audio is that when a character was speaking and they were far away, it felt as though they were far away. Especially in places like Xanadu. It was one of those key moments in cinema where the audio was more than simply music. Though, I have to wonder whether or not the lack of a shatter sound for the snowglobe at the beginning was intentional or not. If it was intentional, I'm curious as to why.

Overall: This movie had me sitting on the fence for a long time.
I didn't hate it, I didn't love it, but I struggled to work out why I liked it. Enjoyment is a big factor in reviewing these films.
It was later after a discussion with someone important that I realised I liked it for its rewatchability.
Like 'Chindatown' with Jack Nicholson, this movie can be watched and studied/enjoyed many times over. It's a different experience each time you watch it.
Furthermore, this movie is the pinnacle of cinema. It went out of its way to be different in all its aspects and in terms of innovation is the most ambitious film of all time.

5 stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment