Thursday 30 April 2015

(Classic) (Movie) Holey Quest.....A look at Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

This is the first review of Classics month. In which I review a classic movie a week.

First I will say this.

I'm not typically a fan of Monty Python movies.

Whether it's because I don't understand most British humour or I try to follow a story that is so far in front of me that I miss it.

The first time I watched this film, I found myself dragged along on an adventure with King Arthur, king of the Britons and his quest to find the holy grail.

Let's get on with it, shall we?

Story/Dialogue: The story takes a back seat, in that King Arthur, king of the Britons, is out trying to find knights to join him at his round table. After he abruptly finds them all, he decides that Camelot...his home, is far too silly to reside in. So God comes forth and tells King Arthur, king of the Britons to locate the Holy Grail.

Also, someone has murdered a historian. Police are investigating.

The dialogue is witty and leaves you in a state of shaking shoulders and breathless laughter. It also makes it exceedingly difficult to write this bloody review! Furthermore, your have characters trying to sing and an argument over the savageness of a rabbit.


Cinematography: The film was shot in Scotland (An observation, not a judgement). The indoor scenes were well lit and pretty much everything was covered in straw. I found myself remarkably dumbfounded by seeing the inside of EVERY castle covered in straw.
With this said, visually, this movie is excellent. From the animations to the flying predator rabbit they are both cheesy and excellent for the setting.

Audio: There are a few musical numbers in this which were excellent to listen to. Overall the audio created a sense of epicness while also cutting off at points to snap you out of it and laugh.

Overall: My advice would be to watch this movie as though it were an hour and a half long Saturday Night Live skit. If you treat it as though it were something to get immersed in, you will be pulled out constantly when the characters start talking about the rights to power and consulting a manual on the holy hand grenade of Antioch.

I give this movie 4 and a half stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment