Saturday 28 March 2015

(Movie) Waking the Demon...A look at Horns.

Based on the trailer for this movie, I actually thought they were going to turn Daniel Radcliffe into a Satyr. While that would have been hilarious and would have lead to some baaaad puns (You knew I was going to do it!) It was not to be.

Iggy Parish embraces his inner demon in order to find out who killed his fiancee. 

Story/Dialogue: For story, I found myself throughly confused as I watched Iggy go from place to place. It was only after the anti-thesis came into play (Just after the 30 minute mark,) that I really begin to understand what was going on. It was also around the time that the hook came into play.
The dialogue felt angsty and probably could have worked better if less profanity was used. Though, there were some aspects that I found suited the use of profanity. In that aspect, the dialogue was redeemable.

Cinematography: Firstly, can I just say that I love the north west part of America for filming. Lush green forests that make other colours (Red especially,) stand out so much more. Most of the shots didn't stand out too much. Though I have to say, that the SFX were excellent. 

Audio: This is the part I was looking forward to talking about! The use of library content was excellent. This includes tracks like 'Personal Jesus' by Depeche Mode and 'If I Had A Heart' by Fever Ray (Which is also the intro track to Vikings for the History Channel.) With those out of the way, I think the film's score could have stood out a tad more. It featured a lot of old school rock and grunge references that it could have gone down that road and was a waste of an excellent opportunity to improve the overall quality of this movie.

Overall: I have some mixed feelings regarding this movie. Honestly, I think I may have walked out in the first 15 minutes of the first screening. But since I'm watching it at home, I'm kind of glad I stuck it out and watched it to the end. It didn't turn out to be as bad as I initially thought. It could have been a lot worse.

3 and a half stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment